Strawberry Rhubarb Shortbread Bars
Just when you thought strawberry rhubarb couldn't taste any better, we went and added a shortcake crust to the mix.
- 1 1/2 cups Sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup Ssliced fresh strawberries, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp Confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup All-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3 tbsp All-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup Cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 Extra egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon zest
- 5 drops Red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.Combine rhubarb, strawberries, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until fruit is softened and beginning to break down, 2 to 4 minutes. Cool.Meanwhile, pulse confectioners’ sugar, salt, and 1 cup flour in a food processor until combined, 4 to 5 times. Add butter, and pulse until a coarse meal forms, 10 to 12 times. Press mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until golden around edges, 16 to 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.Puree rhubarb mixture in a food processor until very smooth, about 1 minute. Add eggs, egg yolks, zest, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar and process until smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. Add food coloring and 3 tablespoons flour and pulse just until smooth. Pour over crust.Bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill at least 2 hours or up to 1 day. Cut into squares. Garnish with sliced strawberries.