Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones
Forget all the dry recipes you've tried; this blogger promises her recipe makes buttery, cake-like scones.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Butter unsalted, cold and cubed
- 1 cup Strawberries washed and quartered
- 1/2 cup Chocolate chunks (Milk or dark)
- 1/4 cup Flour for dusting over your work surface
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.In the measuring cup used to measure out the buttermilk, whisk the egg with the buttermilk.Add cubed butter to the flour mixture and using 2 knives or a pastry blender cut in the butter, until the dough is crumbly and resembled peas.Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix well using a fork or wooden spoon.Add the strawberries and chocolate chips to the dough and roughly mix everything together until well incorporated.Turn the dough over onto a floured surface, and form the dough into a round disk. Cut the dough into 8 triangles.Place the scones onto your prepared baking sheet.Brush the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with a bit of sugar if preferred.Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
The disk I rolled out was about 10 inches in diameter and about 3/4 inch in thickness. You can make yours thicker or thinner depending on preference. You can use frozen strawberries. You can store these in the freezer for a month.